About the Founder(s)
Most people with Down syndrome are neglected, relegated, or abandoned by their parents and society because of the culture and myths that tend to stigmatize them and their family.
Nationally led by Rose Mordi, The Down Syndrome Foundation Nigeria (DSFN) evolved on the 4th of December 2001, with the avowed commitment to bridge the gap between children and adults with Down syndrome (DS) with the rest of the society, through a support system that seeks ultimately to integrate them into the mainstream of the society in which they belong.
For close to two decades, Down syndrome Foundation has achieved so many rewards while trying to bridge the gap between people with Down Syndrome and the rest of the society. These rewards include:
- Merit award by Down Syndrome International presented at the WDSC in South Africa and India.
- Acquisition of new building for a resource centre/ vocational training
- Partnership with Lagos Ministries of Education, Sport, and social welfare.
- Participation in Special Olympics sports competition (local and international level), and lots more.
Down Syndrome Foundation has been able to provide information and support for people with Down syndrome, their families and caregivers, as well as being a resource for interested professionals. This impact has been able to assist in reaching the foundation’s vision which is “Bridging the gap between people living with Down Syndrome and the rest of society’. Some of key initiatives the organization is carrying out includes;
- Self-Advocacy Group for young adults with Down syndrome
- Inclusion International Employment Programme for young adults with Down syndrome.
- Employment training for young adults with Eliakim Foundation.
- Annual Awareness Program – Seminar; walkathon; Charity 5 A-side Football & Family fun fair.
- Save A-Life Project.
The Foundation have reached/impacted more than 300 families who have children / young adults living with Down syndrome since the inception of the Foundation.
Support Down Syndrome Foundation
To Volunteer and donate: http://downsyndrome-ng.org/become-a-volunteer/
Follow Down Syndrome Foundation on Social Media
Address: 1, Alafara Oje Crescent Alamutu Estate, Iju, Fagba, Lagos. Formerly: 43, Adegoke Street, Off Masha, Surulere